Hey, we all make mistakes. But we only grow if we acknowledge them and move on to better things, right? So face your demons and check out my top 10 (ok, there are 13 on my list but top 10 sounds better) decorating mistakes:
- Fear of Color – Sorry guys, but beige IS boring.
- Artwork Hung too High – Don’t strain your neck, hang art at eye level! If art is above a piece of furniture, hang it 3-6 inches above the furniture below it.
- Unused or Underutilized Rooms – Nothing is sadder than an unused room, if you still have the old formal living room, it’s time to transform it into a functional space for your family; make make your underutilized dining room do double-duty as a library.
- Furniture Pushed Up Against Walls – Cozy up your space by floating furniture in comfortable groupings throughout your space.
- Bad DIY Projects – Too much faux finishing makes me wanna faux up.
- Matchy-Matchy – The Rooms-to-Go Syndrome, enough said.
- Theme Decorating Gone Amuck – Animal prints can be cool if used sparingly, just resist the urge to go overboard; same thing with beach, African, and Asian themes. Themes shouldn’t scream at you, they should be subtle. This is always true, unless you are going for an authentic period decor that is appropriate for the age of your home.
- Predictable or Dated Collections – Ducks, teddy bears, presidential spoons, anything from the Franklin Mint, Bradford Exchange, or Thomas Kincaid.
- Fake Friends (Flowers and Plants) – I am not opposed to a few good fake floral pieces, but only if they are used seasonally when that plant/flower actually blooms! I have a few beautiful pink peonies that I put in a couple of vases throughout my home, but I only use them in May-June! Peonies don’t bloom in November, you know. Ivy trailing around your chandelier? Dusty ficus in every corner? Put them in your next yard sale.
- Recliners – If you must lay down every time you watch TV, maybe you should just go to bed. Here’s an idea – get an ottoman.
- Over-oversized couches and chairs – If your feet dangle in mid-air when you sit, your furniture is too big for you.
- Bad sectionals – Not all sectionals are bad, but most I’ve seen in real homes are. It’s just lazy to expect one piece of furniture to be large enough to seat everyone you know. If you MUST have a sectional, let me find you a cool one at 2 Danes or something!
- Overhead Lighting – Buy a few lamps, people. You aren’t in prison.
Do you have a Decorating Mistake that I missed? Leave a comment below and let us know your decorating pet peeve!